The Amigos Unidos was founded in 1985 by a group of Laboratory employees for the purpose of sharing our cultural heritage with the rest of the Laboratory population. Since then the mission has been expanded to include community, education and career outreach, College and Career Recruiting, Social Networking activities, scholarship fundraising, and more.
Amigos Unidos envision a leadership role that promotes and achieves professional and personal excellence for all Laboratory employees through outreach, recruiting, career development and social/cultural involvement. Amigos Unidos is committed to educating and mentoring Hispanics to meet the challenges and opportunities at LLNL.
- Provide a leadership role that promotes the achievement of professional and personal excellence.
- Educate and mentor to meet challenges and to respond to opportunities at LLNL.
- Develop a networking structure.
- Encourage Hispanics to pursue careers in mathematics, science, and engineering.
- Promote continues career, personal, and interpersonal development.
- Promote awareness of Hispanic diversity and values.
Amigos Unidos Activities:
- Recruiting at Conferences/Schools
- Networking and Social events
- Speakers and Professional development
- Community Outreach
- Scholarships / Visits to Schools
- Hispanic Awareness
- Hispanic Heritage Month/Cinco de Mayo
April 25, 2017: Marisol Gamboa inspiring the next generation of Latinas in Tech. "Accessibility is key.
When I had a computer to write code, I felt this power to create." - Marisol Gamboa #TECHNOLOchicas
Membership (Internal – Employees Only)
Become an Amigos Unidos (AU) Partner to keep informed with what Amigos is doing for recruiting, outreach, conference, social networking, scholarship fundraising and more.
Complete the interest/donation form – include cash or check payable to “Amigos Unidos” for a minimum of $10.00 – all funds go towards AU scholarship fund.
June 2016: Octavio Cervantes, Materials Engineer,
keynote speaker at SHPE San Fernando Valley Section
April 25, 2017: Lab engineers Marisol Gamboa, Alejandra Aguilar & Yahel De La Cruz
are @Google to help inspire next gen of #latinasintech at #TECHNOLOchicas
$500 scholarship winners
Adela Lopez. Lopez is pursuing a degree in communications from Stanford University.
$250 scholarship winners
- Daniel Barajas. Barajas is pursuing a degree in bioengineering from the University of California, Los Angeles.
- David Arizca. Arizca is pursuing a degree in history from California State University, Sacramento.
- Ricardo Pimentel. Pimentel is pursuing a degree in aeronautical engineering from San Jose State University.
- Brenda Beltran. Beltran is pursuing a degree to become a clinical medical assistant from San Joaquin Valley College.
- Daniel Cervantes. Cervantes is pursuing a degree in biology from the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Allison Ruiz Watkins. Watkins is pursuing a degree in nutrition from Chico State University.
- Christian Gonzaleaz. Gonzaleaz is pursuing a degree in graphics design from San Jose State University.
04/13/2017 – Amigos Unidos awards student scholarships.
10/14/2016 – Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month: Meet Marisol Gamboa
10/07/2016 – Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month: Meet Octavio Cervantes
Contact: Yahel De La Cruz